Different OT Settings

Today we dived into the different settings that an occupational therapist may work in. There are three big settings that are prevalent in the sphere of OT and those are public agencies, private not-for-profit agencies, and private for-profit agencies. One setting that I am interested in is a private for-profit agency which could include a skilled nursing facility, a nursing home, or rehab centers. This sparked my interest because Dr. Lancaster brought up a specialized area of practice called Death Doula, which is more common in a private for-profit agency such as a nursing home, rehab center, or hospice care. A Death Doula is a specialization where you are trained in helping a client with the dying process and help them stay relaxed at the end of their life. This really interested me because I feel many times the needs/ wants of an elderly or dying individual are at times not acknowledged. This is why I would be interested in working in a private for-profit agency because I would try to receive the Death Doula certification and practice in a setting such as a hospice center or a nursing home. 

Comments

Popular Posts